College Apps Academy
College Apps Academy will guide students through the design and delivery of
the most compelling presentation of their academic and extracurricular
achievements to the colleges or university of choice, maximize their financial
aide, and increase their overall college-readiness through learning the skills
necessary to survive in college.
Since 2001, Reality Changers has prepared over 1,500 students in San Diego County to become successful college students. Today, Reality Changers’ signature outreach program—College Apps Academy—partners with local high schools, nonprofits, and school districts to offer college counseling assistance to 11th and 12th grade students. Through our unique partnership with principals, counselors, and site coordinators, the Academy has helped students gain admission to dozens of the most competitive schools across the country. Our students have earned over $100,000,000 million in scholarships, including 29 Gates Millennium Scholarship winners.
The Challenges of Today’s College Admissions Process:
- With an average caseload of 800:1 in California, counselors aren’t able to provide the personalized college admissions support they desire
- Every year the college admissions and financial aid processes change
- The application process can be confusing and time- consuming
- Students and families don’t have the tools and often make mistakes like incomplet eapplications, proofreading, missing deadlines, repeating information, failing to check curriculum requirements, submitting a one-size fits all essay, and the list goes on…
- Help students search for and gain admission to their top colleges and universities
- Maximize funding and scholarship opportunities and make college affordable
- Increase student and family financial literacy
- Reduce the stress that accompanies the college application process
- Develop life skills such as professionalism, networking, time management, independence, and adherence
- Create more successful college students through our signature College Survival 101 program
Reality Changers seeks to mold young inner-city youth into high-achieving candidates for some of the nation’s best colleges. Introducing underserved students to an array of youth development programs and higher-education opportunities is part of preparing well-rounded college prospects.
- Community Service
- Featured Programs
- Special Events
- Student Spotlight
Stay up to date on all things Reality Changers! Everything from organization news and updates to college application tips to student stories can be found here.
As the Executive Director of JOYA Scholars, I’ve had the privilege of watching our high-school seniors succeed in the college readiness process thanks to our partnership with Reality Changers this past year. Our site instructor, Genaro Cruz, helped our students reach their dream of going to college by administering the College Apps Academy with diligence and professionalism. Tania Azar, Regional Director of College Apps Academy, kept us informed with news and events on a consistent basis throughout the 25 weeks of instruction.
Without this program, I believe that our students would be in completely different situations this May than they are currently. I keep hearing stories of multiple college acceptance letters, incredible financial aid packages, students choosing four year colleges instead of community college, and many more stories of success. The program Reality Changers offers includes in depth lessons about applying for college, paying for college, and surviving college once you arrive. These areas are absolutely needed in our community and we have not been able to fill the gap until our partnership. I know of many other communities in Orange County with similar demographics as ours that would greatly benefit from a partnership like ours.
“Our strategic partnership has increased college admissions awareness and accessibility in Fullerton and throughout the county. I can’t imagine our collegereadiness program without the efforts of Reality Chambers by our side.”
“Our collaboration and teamwork allowed the students to flourish and grow in confidence as we worked together to ensure their success. I am confident more high school seniors will be the first in their families to attend college because programs like College Apps Academy will continue to make their mark in low-income neighborhoods such as ours.”
“Reality Changers has brought life to the college experience for ten families in our community in ways we never could have and I look forward to the many years ahead of changing other families lives. I would absolutely recommend funding for this organization.”
Get in Touch
The Academy program is a total of 20 weeks that runs from spring of junior year to spring of senior year with the exception of HQ Academy seniors who meet for a total of 37 weeks from fall of senior year to spring of senior year.
College Apps Academy Director